This article was reviewed by Dr. Emilija Ashtalkoska on August 22nd, 2018. Products listed therein are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease or health condition.
Table of Contents
Why Choose A Home Remedy?
Have you contracted nail fungus? You are certainly not alone – over 30 million people worldwide have onychomycosis, also known as nail fungus. Many people turn to home remedies for a variety of reasons.
1. No Side-Effects
Most home remedies have little to no side effects, which make them an awesome treatment option. Unfortunately, many prescription treatments such as Lamisil can have serious side effects such as liver or kidney damage.
2. Low Cost
Other treatment options such as prescription pills and laser treatment can be extremely expensive, which is a deterrent for many people who have contracted nail fungus. Many of our recommended home remedies are a low price.
3. Already In The House
Best of all, many of our recommended home remedies have a variety of other health and household options. This means that you most likely already have a few of these in your kitchen!
Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is a tremendous fluid with a variety of positive health benefits. What most people don’t know is that it has antifungal and antibacterial properties, and can help cure mild to moderate cases of nail fungus. Luckily, it is a common household item, so you probably already have a bottle tucked away somewhere! In order to treat your nail fungus, follow these steps daily.
- Clean your feet thoroughly to wash away infected debris.
- Add two cups of vinegar to a basin or bowl of cool water.
- Soak your feet for up to 30 minutes depending on how serious your infection is
- Rinse and dry your feet completely
- Repeat daily
Following this treatment routine can also help with athlete’s foot, dry feet, warts, and foot odor.
Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil is a powerful herbal oil with antifungal and antiseptic properties that can help with athlete’s foot, nail fungus, acne, ear infections, and many other afflictions. You can also find tea tree oil in pharmacies and health food stores for a low price. Simply apply the formula directly to the infected areas using a cotton ball or q-tip and let it sink in. After half an hour, scrub the infected area with a toothbrush and let then wash it off.
If you are interested in utilizing Tea Tree Oil, we recommend Purely Northwest Toenail Fungus System, one of the most powerful home treatments on the market today.
Coconut oil is a powerful herbal solution that has anti-inflammatory, anti-fungal, and antibacterial properties. Many people utilizing the power of Coconut oil on a daily basis for everything from skin care to cooking. It is also a great home remedy for onychomycosis. Simply apply the coconut oil daily (using gloves) to the infected area to start seeing results.
Another common household item is Vicks Vaporub. Vicks Vaporub is renowned for its ability to help with coughing and minor pains. However, it can also aid in getting rid of nail fungus. This is due to the camphor, eucalyptus, and menthol in the ointment that all have anti-fungal properties.
In fact, a study done by the Journal of American Board of Family Medicine showed that 83% of people who used Vicks Vaporub in their controlled study experienced toenail fungus relief. Simply apply the formula directly to the nails and nail beds using a cotton ball once a day for 30 minutes at a time.
Olive oil has a tremendous number of reported health benefits. Best of all, you probably have a bottle in your kitchen right now! Apply the olive oil directly to the infected spots twice a day. Olive oil is best for mild cases of nail fungus – something more substantial is definitely needed for more severe cases. However, olive oil is great for your skin, so it will definitely help soften and smoothen your feet and nails.
Many people use Listerine Mouthwash on a daily basis to help with their oral health. However, Listerine is also a low-cost solution that can help get rid of nail fungus. Follow these steps in order to treat your nail fungus.
- Fill a small bowl with Listerine
- Soak your infected nail or nails for half an hour
- Scrub the nail, nail bed, and areas in between toes with a toothbrush to remove infected debris
- Wash your feet off and let them dry
- Repeat twice a day
The alcohol in Listerine will help destroy the nail fungus after a few weeks.
Similar to Tea Tree Oil, Oregano oil is a powerful antibacterial and antifungal essential oil. Mix oregano oil with olive oil and apply three times a day to the infected spot. Let it sit for up to thirty minutes, and repeat twice a day. You should start to see results in about a month or so. Oregano oil is best for mild to moderate cases of nail fungus.
Home remedies can be a low cost, easy way to treat nail fungus. We always recommend consulting your doctor before starting any treatment. Additionally, side effects are rare, but if you experience any discomfort or redness, we advise you to immediately discontinue use. We wish you the best of luck with your nail fungus fighting journey!
Sources for more information:
- https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25219289 – a study which shows that apple cider vinegar can have antifungal properties
- https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9055360 – reference about the antifungal properties of tea tree oil
- https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17651080 – coconut oil can be a potent antifungal towards certain species of fungus
- https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4595230/ – antifungal properties of eucalyptus, an ingredient present in Vicks Vaporub
- https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17897206 – A study about the antifungal properties of oregano oil
- https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5028442/ – A study that confirms that olive oil and cinnamon oil are both potent antifungal agents