Taking care of your skin is no easy task, but when the weather turns cold, it can become quite a challenge to keep your skin hydrated.
If you have dry skin like me, chances are you’re no stranger to having chapped lips all year round, regardless of the weather.
But winter can be especially hard on your skin. It strips your skin of its natural barrier and dries it out.
The skin on your lips isn’t much like the skin on your body. It’s incredibly thin and quite sensitive and doesn’t have any oil glands to give it the moisture it needs.
It may seem like there isn’t much you can do except use lip balms regularly and stay hydrated throughout the day to keep our lips moisturized and smooth.
But if you’ve spent your fair share of money on lip balms, you know they aren’t all that effective.
Instead of buying all these lip products that almost never deliver on the hype, why not go for an organic product that can work wonders for your skin at a very small price, like castor oil?
But, is castor oil good for lips? In this blog post, we’ll take a look at how castor oil works on your lips, how you can use it, and some tips you need to keep in mind to get the most out of them.
Table of Contents
How Castor Oil Works On Your Lips
The skin on your lips is a lot like a mucous membrane.
It doesn’t have the protective pigment called melanin like the rest of your body and it also doesn’t contain the sebaceous glands that produce natural oils to keep your skin moisturized and glowing.
That’s why your lips are incredibly sensitive and susceptible to chapping.
Here’s how castor oil hydrates and adds a natural glow to your lips:
- Since castor oil is rich in Omega fatty acids, it refreshes your skin and keeps it moisturized. The fatty acids can help with the growth of healthy tissues and repair any existing damages.
- Castor oil has ricinoleic acid that’s known to be an effective natural moisturizer for your skin. The creamy and oily texture of the oil is just what’s needed to keep your lips glossy and supple to the touch.
- It’s also a humectant, which means it helps retain moisture on your lips. It restores the moisture your lips need in extremely dry and chilly weather and almost instantly hydrates them.
- It can seep into the skin around your lips and soften them. This helps prevent the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines that are known to affect this area of your skin.
- It can also help even out any discolorations on your lips with the help of fatty acids and give your lips an even tone.
How To Use Castor Oil
Now that we’ve learned how castor oil can help your dry and discolored lips, let’s take a look at how you can add it to your skincare routine and keep your lips refreshed and soft throughout the day.
- If your castor oil is quite thick in consistency, you should add it to other oils, such as tea tree oil or coconut oil to dilute it and make sure it’s easier to apply on your lips.
- Before applying castor oil to your lips, the first thing you need to do is gently scrub your lips to get rid of the flaky skin. Do this at least twice a week. Be careful and don’t scrub your lips excessively or you’ll end up damaging the delicate skin.
- Add about a drop of castor oil on a cotton swab or your fingertip.
- Gently massage into your lips and make sure you’re spreading it evenly all over the surface.
- Let the oil soak and work its magic.
- Repeat this procedure at least twice a day if you want the best results. You can try applying it before bedtime everyday and make it a part of your morning skincare routine.
Things To Keep In Mind When Using Castor Oil
If you’re looking to get the most out of castor oil, here are a couple of things you should keep in mind:
- This treatment will only be as effective as the quality of castor oil you’re using on your lips. Make sure you’re buying organic, cold-pressed castor oil that’s freshly packaged to get the best results instantly. Try to avoid varieties that include fragrances or any synthetic additives as they can cause side-effects and may not be as effective.
- Even though castor oil is not known to have many side-effects, it’s safer to do a patch test first before applying it all over your lips.
- If you’re interested in getting long-lasting results, you need to apply this oil consistently. You need to take great care of your skin and stay hydrated so you can feel the difference almost right away. Lips that have existing damage, on the other hand, can take longer to show signs of improvement, but if you stick to the treatment and stay patient, you’re guaranteed to feel the difference.
- You need to store castor oil properly to make sure it’s safe for use for up to year or more. Don’t expose it to sunlight or it’ll turn rancid very soon. Make sure you’re checking the expiry date before using it.
There aren’t many organic products that can do as good of a job at keeping your lips hydrated and smooth like castor oil.
It’s usually safe to use and should be preferred over most synthetic lip care products. It’s easily available and comes at a very affordable price.
If you’re tired of using the same old lip balms and creams and looking for a more natural treatment for your lips, your safest bet is to use castor oil instead.
Enjoyed reading this blog post? Check out our website for more!
This account is run by a team of writers, researches, and more who simply love contributing to the site.