You probably already know the benefits of adding olive oil to your diet, but did you know that you can also apply this highly nutritious oil topically for amazing skin benefits?
Discovered by Egyptians some 5,000 years ago, olive oil has been used in skin care products for centuries now.
It is derived from olives and is used extensively in the skincare industry as the main ingredient for various products, including creams, lotions, makeup removers, exfoliators, etc.
Let’s take a look at some benefits of this miraculous oil and discover how you can use olive oil for face for soft, healthy, and glowing skin.
Table of Contents
Skin Benefits Of Olive Oil
Olive oil is rich in antioxidants and contains essential fatty acids that work to moisturize the skin from inside out.
It can be used to hydrate the skin effectively and keep the early signs of aging, like wrinkles and age spots, from appearing.
Due to its high antioxidant content, this oil can also be used for scar treatment or areas of hyperpigmentation.
Apart from that, it contains flavonoids, polyphenols, and Vitamin E, all of which repair damaged skin cells to give you soft and glowing skin.
It is also antimicrobial in nature, which means that it possesses excellent antibacterial properties that can fight off skin infections.
Furthermore, it also boasts anti-inflammatory properties, which is why it is often used for soothing skin inflammation.
Now that you know some of the most important skin benefits of olive oil, scroll down to learn different ways to use olive oil for face.
How To Use Olive Oil For Face
While olive oil is an excellent moisturizer, it is essential to understand that it is thick, heavy, and very sticky.
Hence, it is important to know the right way to use this rich oil, especially if you are applying it on your face.
So, make sure you take the time to learn about some effective ways to use olive oil for face to avoid clogged pores and breakouts.
1. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
There are various types of olive oil available in the market, including light, virgin, extra virgin, and pure.
The secret to healthy, glowing skin lies in choosing the right type of olive oil. Each variety is derived and processed differently, resulting in different final products.
Extra virgin olive oil is the best option for skincare. It contains a high level of vitamins, antioxidants, and minerals that are good for your skin.
Here’s how you can use extra virgin olive oil for face.
What You Will Need
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Hot water
- Face cloth
How To Apply Extra Virgin Olive Oil On The Face
- Pour a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil in a bowl.
- Use your fingertips to massage the oil into the skin in a circular motion, especially around the nose, cheeks, and forehead areas.
- Now, dip a soft and clean facecloth in hot water. Twist it to get rid of excess water and hold the cloth against the skin.
- Let the cloth rest against the skin for about 10-12 minutes, until it comes down to the room temperature.
- Rinse the cloth and dip it in hot water again. However, instead of placing it on the face, this time, use it gently to rub the skin.
- Once the top layer of oil is removed from the skin, rinse your face with hot water once and pat it dry with a paper towel.
If you have rough or dry skin, you can use extra virgin olive oil in the morning or before going to bed at night to treat dry patches and uneven skin.
On the other hand, if you have oily skin, using olive oil in this way will bring the excess oil production under control and will help unclog the pores.
So, regardless of your skin type, you are guaranteed to have soft, smooth, and glowing skin.
2. Olive Oil, Egg, And Honey Mask
Did you know that you can find all the ingredients that you need for an excellent hydrating face mask in your pantry?
Apply this mask to fight off the early signs of aging, like wrinkles. It will tighten the skin, rejuvenate it from within, and give you a beautiful glow.
Moreover, this mask will also work to hydrate your skin and help you achieve smooth and even skin.
What You Will Need
- Egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
How To Apply The Mask
- Take one egg yolk and add honey and olive oil in it. You can also add a few drops of lemon in the mix.
- Use a fork to mix the ingredients properly until you have a smooth paste.
- Use your fingertips or a face brush to apply the paste evenly on the face.
- Let it rest on the face for about 15 minutes. The mask would dry and tighten on the skin.
- Now, use a hot, damp cloth to wash it off.
- Pat the skin dry using a soft cloth or paper towel.
It is advisable to use extra virgin olive oil for this mask. Since honey contains antioxidants, it enhances the skin rejuvenating properties of olive oil.
On the other hand, egg yolk boasts some amazing anti-aging properties that hydrate the skin and helps tighten it.
Adding a few drops of lemon will work to brighten up the complexion to give you an even skin tone.
All in all, using this face mask will replenish the skin and make it glow. Use this amazing olive oil face mask at least twice a week for best results.
These are the two highly effective ways to use olive oil for face at home.
After all, why should you spend money on expensive skincare products when olive oil offers a safe and natural way to get the skin of your dreams?
Try these olive oil beauty remedies today for healthy and glowing skin!
This account is run by a team of writers, researches, and more who simply love contributing to the site.